History of the Ortiz Center
ORTIZ CENTER HISTORICAL TIMELINE
- Following the untimely death of UNM Anthropology Professor Alfonso Ortiz and
- in response to a desire for closer collaboration between the Anthropology
- Department and the Maxwell Museum of Anthropology, Professor Marta Weigle
- (of the UNM Department of Anthropology) and Curator Mari Lyn Salvador (of
- the Maxwell Museum of Anthropology) developed the idea of a center, named
- in memory of Dr. Ortiz, to promote more public engagement in UNM Anthropology.
- Weigle and Salvador submitted and secured a National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) Challenge Grant to raise an endowment and create programming through a newly established Ortiz Center.
- The NEH grant period began, and Dr. Beverly Singer was hired as the first Ortiz Center Director.
- The Ortiz Advisory Board was established with Professor Louise Lamphere as chair.
- Maxwell Museum Curator of Ethnology Dr.Kathryn Klein became the Acting Director and then Associate Director of the Ortiz Center. She served in this role until 2007.
- With endowment funds raised from the New Mexico State Legislature (for an interactive exhibit area in the Maxwell Museum), from Dr. Lamphere (to support a public policy fellowship), and from several founding donors, including the McCune Foundation, the Getty Grant Program, the Woodrow Wilson Foundation, the Maxwell Museum Association, the Hibben Trust, the Ethel-Jane Westfeldt Bunting Foundation, the Chamiza Foundation, Robert and Miriam Laughlin, and Clifford Geertz, NEH signed off on the grant and matched the funds raised.
- The Ortiz Gathering Spacefor exhibitions co-curated by community members opened in the Maxwell Museum with the inaugural exhibition “Elements of the Earth: Potters Past and Present of Ohkay Owingeh.”
- Professor Sylvia Rodriguez became Ortiz Center Director and served in this role until 2010.
- Anthropology Associate Professor Beverly Singer became Ortiz Center Director for a second term.
- Maxwell Museum Curator of Ethnology Dr. Lea McChesney became Ortiz Center Director.
- Ortiz Center 20th Anniversary Celebrations